The design objectives for a feedlot production pen are to:
- Provide an environment for cattle where production performance and animal welfare are maximised
- Promote safe access for cattle to and from the pen
- Minimise environmental impacts such as odour and dust
- Promote drainage to provide a comfortable environment for cattle and minimise environmental impact
- Optimise the management and removal of manure from the pens
- Minimise ongoing maintenance costs
- Provide a safe working environment for pen riders and other feedlot personnel.
Construction of a new feedlot or expansion of an existing feedlot requires adequate planning.
The goals of planning cattle feedlots are to:
- Minimise animal and worker stress during handling
- Feed cattle in an adequate and efficient manner
- Provide well drained cattle space
- Maintain efficiency and profitability of feeding operations
- Protect the surrounding environment